These days, almost everyone has at least a permanent job that can never pay all the bills and a side business for that little extra cash. In the name of survivability, there’s nothing wrong with this two-pronged strategy to manage life’s expenses – as long as that side hustle doesn’t require much of your time, you should be okay.
The thing is, the urge to run the business on a full-time basis can be very tempting. However, despite the potential it promises, you need to understand that you’re not really ready for it. Not even close. You still need that monthly paycheck to cover those fundamental expenses back home. The time shall come. For now, you just have to keep working for it.
“In the meantime, know that there is a way to grow your money-making side business to the next level while you’re focusing on your job.”
Here are some cool hacks that you can use to build a really profitable and fulfilling side business:
- Keep everything online. By keeping your business online, all you need is just a laptop and internet access. On the other hand, if you continue to try keeping transactions physical, you will be very busy with operational activities half the time, throwing your work-life balance completely crazy.
- Consider a virtual assistant. It’s a bad idea to try to be a superhero when you’re not. Remember, you only have two hands and a brain. There are only so many things that you can do within the 24 hours in a day. You need to leverage on what you can, and the best way to do it is by getting routine operational activities out of the way. This way, you can focus not only on your office work but also on other critical matters related to your business such as payment, closing a deal and submitting proposals. For all other things, get a virtual assistant to complete tasks by giving him/her clear instructions and a deadline. Oh, and make sure you negotiate a decent rate that is satisfactory to both parties. Sites like Fiverr are a good place to start.
- Give your business a professional address through virtual office services. People generally trust a business more if it’s located in a prominent and/or popular location. The problem is, your business is still too small to rent in those kinds of areas. In such a situation, consider getting a virtual office instead.
- Make it legal. Nobody wants to do a business with an illegal entity. You need to get your business registered with the relevant authorities. Once that’s done, quickly open up a banking account under the legal entity’s name. Imagine, you finally get the one big opportunity that may allow you to finally call yourself a successful entrepreneur, but you lose it because your customer finds out that he/she has to bank-in his/her payment to your personal banking account.
- A killer website to showcase your brand’s reliability. Before they engage with the intention to purchase, many people do their homework on your brand by looking at your website. It will be such a tragedy if they find out that you barely update the content inside it, that it’s messy, or worse, that you do not have a website. The thing is, you need to have a great, easy-to-navigate and consistently updated website with a clean look that makes your brand look reliable. and credible. You need to showcase that you can deliver what has been promised. Once the customers are convinced, they’ll buy. If you’re not sure how to do it, get help. Fiverr is a good place for this too.
- A consistent social media presence. You must make sure that the look-and-feel of all your social media channels are similar to your website’s ambience. This is to create a seamless user experience whenever they are in your digital assets. Make them remember your brand better this way. On top of that, your social media activities must be consistent too. Regularly sharing relevant postings every day would help.
- Weekly articles and infographics production. The only way you can refresh your social media is by regularly updating content there. This is when articles, infographics and video production come handy. Without these, you will find it hard to update your social media platforms with new information. Alternatively, you can consider outsourcing these tedious activities to a reliable third party. Leverage on their strengths towards your advantage.
Use these marketing ideas to balance your time hustling between your day job and the side business. Quite a number of people are utilising this method and it works for them. In fact, there are many companies out there who already use these methods by hiring people to do them actively on a weekly basis, so why not you?