The easiest way would be to become recognised as an authority in your field.
But what is an authority in this context?
It means you are an individual or a brand that is often an important reference from a community in a single field or industry. You are seen to have influence, expertise, experience and knowledge in the field, something which is not easily owned by another person or brand.
Anything you share will be a reliable guide to the community, and this will not only make your brand superior to that of other competitors in the same industry, you will also enjoy far better business opportunities than the competitor.
It’s not all about numbers though.
You would’ve also seen some individuals who have many followers, but they are not very influential. On the other hand, there are some individuals who have a certain positive aura that can be felt by the people around, even though the number of followers is not so crowded.
So what are the steps that you can take to become an authority? Some of them include:
- Reading: This is very important. With consistent reading habits you will always get bright ideas, new theories and be able to learn from other people’s experiences about something or the other in your field. Without reading, you will not get the knowledge you want as the information you need.
- Observing: Reading will not be meaningful if we do not follow it with observation. The theories and experiences of the people you read about in books or articles need to be reviewed for their effectiveness. One way to look at its effectiveness is through observing behaviour that exists in reality.
- Implementation: Perhaps what we read can be seen in the extent of its effectiveness through what we’ve observed, but it does not mean that we will get the same results from what we read and see. So we need to try it ourselves. This will prove to us that the theory that we read will be able to give a certain result in reality.
- Write: Your views, opinions and ideas need to have a structure. There is no better way to organize what you think in your head than to write. Through writing, it will force you to compose the storytelling patterns in your head so that what you write becomes understandable to readers and those who hear you speak later.
- Teach: Once you have structured thinking, it will make it easier for you to teach others, handle workshops and also do whatever kind of presentation or presentation easily. Presentations, explanations and information you present to attendees can also be ‘seen’ even if you are not using any slide presentations if you’re really good.
- LinkedIn: Self branding can be enhanced by having a separate profile on LinkedIn. This should also be helped by the presence of your personal brand on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter so that the community there will not be left behind to keep up with your developments in cyberspace.
- Focus: Ideally you should avoid writing and sharing about topics that are outside of your own field. Try to avoid interfering with these things as it is beyond your expertise. Instead, focus on topics that are about your field.
- Don’t gloat: Only an arrogant individual would boast about his expertise. To gain strength and impact as an authority in your field, let others label you as an authority, not yourself.
Remember, you will not see the results within a month or two. With this formula, it will take at least 12 to 18 months for the best results. What you need to do is maintain discipline and stamina. Without both of these, it’s highly likely that you will fail to achieve what you are looking for.